At Thrive Dental Studio, we care about the health of your mouth. Regular dental visits are the best way to keep your teeth and gums healthy. Even if you are not experiencing any problems with your teeth, we encourage you to maintain a consistent schedule of visits to our dental office in Portland, Maine. Our staff is committed to giving each patient an exceptional dental experience so that you can leave feeling good about your smile.
What Happens at a Routine Dental Visit?
Typically, there are two parts to dental checkups: The dental exam and the cleaning. You may also get some x-rays taken of your teeth. After your exam with the doctor, one of our experienced dental hygienists will professionally clean your teeth if it’s recommended for you. This includes removing the plaque and tartar buildup on your teeth, polishing your teeth, and flossing around each tooth and along the gum line.
During the cleaning, the dental hygienist will take note of any areas that might have tooth decay or other dental issues and bring it to the doctor’s attention. Then, when the dentist comes in to examine your mouth, he will look at each tooth, look over your x-rays, diagnose any lesions and examine the rest of your mouth. If issues need to be taken care of, the dentist will tell you what needs to be done and create a treatment plan for you.
You may also get an oral cancer screening during the checkup. You will get the option to receive fluoride treatment, which helps fight cavities which is strongly recommended for most patients.
Benefits of Regular Visits to Your Family Dentist
Not sure why you should see the dentist even when your teeth don’t hurt? Routine checkups benefit you in more ways than one.
- Prevent cavities and gingivitis: Getting a professional dental cleaning is an integral part of maintaining good oral health. Keeping your teeth healthy is less expensive than fixing oral problems that have already occurred. Letting tartar and plaque buildup can lead to periodontal disease, which affects your overall health as it advances.
- Early detection of oral health problems: Just because your teeth don’t hurt doesn’t mean you don’t potentially have dental problems. Many cavities and oral diseases begin small and are unnoticeable in their early stage. If you are getting routine checkups, these minor problems will be detected and taken care of before they require significant restoration.
- Long-term relationship with your dentist: Knowing your dentist and dental staff helps you trust them more and feel safer during every visit. Your dentist will also be able to keep track of your teeth and gums over the long term, which means you’ll get better care overall.
- Oral care education: We give you personalized tips and suggestions on caring for your teeth at home because you can’t visit the dentist’s office daily!
- Instill good oral hygiene practices: No matter what age you are, you can probably improve your oral hygiene practices and benefit from our encouragement to take great care of your teeth and gums.
How Often Should You See the Dentist?
Most patients should schedule a routine dental exam and cleaning twice a year. We may recommend that some patients come in more often, depending on the condition of their teeth and gums.
Thrive Dental Studio in Portland, Maine, Turns Dental Appointments into Dental Experiences
Even if you have bad memories of past dental appointments, regular dental cleanings and exams are still one of the best ways to keep your mouth healthy. Give Thrive Dental Studio a chance to change the way you think about going to the dentist. As soon as you walk into our office, you will be greeted by a friendly staff member. You can wait for your appointment in the comfort of our relaxing waiting room, which includes a refreshment station. During your appointment, you can let the television distract your mind from the tasks at hand. If you ever need anything, all you have to do is ask. Dr. Figueiredo and his experienced team are here to make your dental care experience as pleasant and easy as possible.
Schedule your next dental visit today. We welcome new patients and patients we have seen in the past.