emergency dental services
in portland ME
The Best Dental Experience You’ll Ever Have
Our Mission: To Help You Thrive and to be a Champion of Local Wildlife Conservation
Do you need an emergency dentist in Portland, ME?
Thrive dental studio offers emergency dentist appointments with evening and Friday hours.
If you have any dental issues causing you pain or annoyance, we are here to help you get the treatment you need.
Please call (207) 305-4200 or book an appointment online to get an emergency dentist appointment or have any questions answered.
When do you need emergency dental care?
If you have ever had to deal with a dental emergency, you will understand how frightening and painful it can be. Many patients are unsure whether their dental problems are considered a dental emergency. They can be uncertain of who to call, or what they should do at home when they experience a dental emergency. As an Emergency Dentist in Portland, ME Thrive Dental is here to help you determine how to handle your dental emergency best.
The short answer is If your problem is causing you pain or it could lead to further dental or medical complications, it counts as a dental emergency. The following common issues often indicate you should visit an emergency dental office.
- Severe Pain in the teeth or gums – toothaches and mouth pain can be a sign of infection requiring antibiotics and pain relief medication.
- An accident – If you suffer an injury to your mouth/jaw, you should immediately seek the help of a dentist.
- An immediate esthetic problem – If you chip a tooth or have another sudden change to the quality of your smile, you may need to seek dental help. Especially if the chipped tooth is hurting other parts of your mouth.
- Lost permanent tooth – if you get a tooth knocked out, there’s a possibility to save the tooth if you are seen in time.
- Excessive bleeding – gum disease can be one cause of excessive bleeding of the gums, but there are many other causes, and it’s in your best interest to make an emergency dentist appointment.
- Infection or pussy discharge – this known as a periodontal or periapical abscess, and it can be quite serious. If it’s ignored, it can spread, leading to other serious medical problems.
What can I do at home for a severe toothache or another dental emergency?
Depending on the type and severity of the dental emergency that you experience, you may be able to ease your pain while waiting to see the dentist. One of the most important things to do is stay calm. When you get anxious and nervous, your body triggers various responses that may make your emergency worse. Regardless of the emergency, remaining calm while looking for help is very important.
- Here is a list of things you can do at home that may help ease some pain and reduce the discomfort you’re feeling.
- Dissolving a teaspoon of salt in a mug of hot water creates warm mouthwash that may relieve irritation and reduce swelling.
- Put a knocked-out tooth in a glass of milk until you can get to your dentist can help protect the cells on the surface of the root for up to 6 hours.
- Floss! Dentists are always telling you to floss, but If you are experiencing pain around one specific tooth, something may be stuck in the gum tissue or between your teeth.
- Cold can reduce swelling. Using a cold compress can numb an area and help reduce swelling. It can also reduce or stop some bleeding.
- Rinsing with Hydrogen Peroxide will help kill bacteria and reduce irritation.
- Using over-the-counter pain medication as directed can help alleviate any discomfort until you can receive emergency dental care.
How do you get an emergency dental care appointment?
Thrive Dental Studio offers the ability to schedule online appointments or call to be seen by the dentist as soon as possible – often the same day you call.
Please call (207) 305-4200 to get an emergency dentist appointment, or book an appointment online.
Thrive dental Studio makes it as convenient as possible to get the dental help you need when you need it with evening and Friday appointments.
Our office is located right off the I-295 with plenty of parking for our patients.