Dental problems can be annoying, painful, and costly. If you are struggling with a dental problem, you should schedule an appointment at Thrive Dental Studio in Portland, Maine, where your problem will be properly diagnosed and given an effective treatment plan. Even if you don’t have a dental problem right now, you must maintain your oral health by taking good care of your teeth daily and going to the dentist for routine checkups.
Why is Oral Health Important?
Your oral health is essential to your well-being. When you keep your teeth and gums clean and healthy, you don’t have to worry as much about problems like cavities, toothache, and gum disease. Instead, you can smile confidently and know that your teeth look great. Oral health is linked to your overall health, so when you have a problem in your mouth, it could adversely affect another part of your system.
The best way to keep track of your health and avoid common oral health problems is by visiting the dentist regularly. We recommend that most people schedule a dental cleaning and an oral exam once every six months, so your dentist can catch common problems before they become larger problems.
What are Common Dental Problems?
Here are a few dental problems that we frequently treat at Thrive Dental Studio:
- Cavities: When bacteria grow in your mouth and stick to your teeth, they can decay. These spots of tooth decay are called cavities, and they will continue to grow bigger and cause more problems if they are not treated and filled by a dentist.
- Broken or Chipped Teeth: Sometimes, teeth become fragile and break easily. Sometimes an accident or sudden impact causes a piece of tooth to chip off. This could create pain in your tooth. Most breaks and chips can be repaired, so your teeth can function and look normal again.
- Oral Cancer: Like most cancers, cancer inside your mouth can have severe consequences. That’s why we do an oral cancer screening at your dental exams, so we can spot it early and get you to a doctor who can treat it.
- Periodontal Disease: If your gums are puffy, red, sore, or bleeding, you may be experiencing symptoms of periodontal disease, which is an infection or inflammation of your gums. If left untreated, your teeth could become loose or fall out, spreading the infection to other areas.
- Severe Bad Breath: There could be several reasons for chronic bad breath, including poor oral hygiene habits, acid reflux, dry mouth, and infection.
- Tooth Sensitivity: If the tooth enamel on your teeth is worn down, your tooth’s inner part is more exposed, leaving it vulnerable to hot and cold temperatures. This makes your teeth sensitive.
- Infection: If you get an infection deep in your tooth’s root, you may feel a throbbing toothache. Infections can make your tooth very sensitive and cause pain when you bite down.
How Can Dental Problems Be Avoided?
Many common dental problems can be avoided by maintaining a consistent and rigorous oral health routine at home. This includes brushing your teeth twice daily with fluoride toothpaste, flossing your teeth daily, and rinsing your mouth with mouthwash. Making your dental health a priority is essential through regular dental checkups and proper oral hygiene. You can also avoid dental problems by eating a healthy diet low in sugar and acidic drinks.
Why Should You Schedule Your Next Dental Appointment at Thrive Dental Studio?
For a healthy smile, you can be proud of, visit Thrive Dental Studio in Portland, Maine. We are passionate about teaching good oral hygiene, starting with regular checkups. Whether you have common dental issues like cracked teeth, tooth erosion, dental cavities, or jaw pain, our dental office is here to help. Please contact our friendly staff today to schedule your next routine appointment.